I know that it’s only September but Halloween is approaching FAST. Because Halloween is one of my all time favorite holidays and I low key love coming up with and curating funny/creative ideas, I’ve created this Ultimate 2018 Halloween Costume Guide to help you decide what should dress up as. These ideas range from low cost, low effort to intermediate cost/effort and are mainly focused on current events.
Before we dive in, I’m predicting we’re going to see a LOT of Black Panther and Trump/Russia costumes this year, as well as the usual spill over from last year’s most popular costumes (I see you, Eleven with the Eggos and Harley Quinn). No hate for anyone dressing up in these whatsoever BTW, just know you’ll probably have a few look-a-likes.
Political Costumes Ideas
- Fake News: Write “FAKE” on a shirt and either carry newspapers or incorporate them into your outfit. If you’re not into DIY efforts, you can always just buy this Fake News t-shirt and be done with it.
- Collin Kaepernick: Wear a Kaepernick jersey (ladies, I recommend getting a youth jerseys for a better fit) and Nike shoes and sweat bands.
- Stormy Daniels: You’re going to need a blonde wig (if you’re not already blonde) and a deep v-neck body con dress (a deep v-neck pirate top and mini skirt combination also works), and a large check for $130,000.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Here’s what you’ll need: a judge gown, a cream collar, eyeglasses, stud earrings, a courtroom gavel, and, of course, a scrunchie! Bonus points if you fall asleep while sitting up at a party.
Pop Culture/In The News Costumes
- Handmaid’s Tale: I recommend going with a costume set like this one and stay far, far away from any costume that tries to make this sexy. Trust me on this one.
- Walmart Yodelling Kid: In addition to the best yodel skills this side of the Mississippi, you’ll need jeans, a white collar button down, cowboy boots, and a red bow tie.
- Grocery Store Joe: Bachelor in Paradise aficionados, this one’s for you! Wear a shirt that says Joe (sharpie it on or utilize one of these handy “hello my name is” stickers) and carry a bag of groceries. – Submitted by Jack Small
Punny Costumes (Not 2018-Specific)
- Devil Wears Prada: Throw on some devil horns and a Prada shirt and you’re done!
- Social Butterfly: For this outfit, you can wear whatever you want as a base. Print some large social media icons (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.) and paste, pin, or tape them onto your outfit and add butterfly wings. (These butterfly wings could also be an interesting choice)
- Nickelback: Glue a bunch of nickels to the back of your shirt (or dress) and call it a day! Note: people will invariably try to take the nickels off you throughout the night, so just know that’s going to happen.
- Formal Apology: Dress up in your favorite cocktail attire and wear a sign that says “I’m Sorry”
- Shark Week: You’ll need to convince six friends to dress up in shark costumes with you, but after that it’s smooth sailing. Add a day of the week to each shark costume and you’re set (I recommend using signs or sashes).
Costume Ideas You Shouldn’t Do
- Culture-As-Costume: It’s a hot topic right now and you’re better off steering clear of native or traditional outfits from other cultures (i.e think anything with a kimono or Native America outfits).
- Thai Soccer Team: There’s a chance you’ll see someone in a soccer uniform and a scuba mask this year, but word to the wise it’s too soon and probably always will be. Stay away.
- Anything With An Umbrella: There’s no loaded political reason for this – I just think umbrellas are clunky and an annoying thing to have to carry around all night. Do yourself a favor and don’t be a jelly fish, the Morton salt girl, or a cheeky play on “It’s raining men.”
I hope this guide helped you decide what to be for Halloween. Do you have any great costume ideas that should be included on this list? Let me know in the comments!